Saturday, December 29, 2012

Quilled Mr & Mrs Wedding Shaped Card, Butterfly Flourishes

It has come to my attention that I am only 3 posts away from 100 for the year while typing this entry! Therefore, I will strive to make it to the 100 mark by 2013. Though crafting is rewarding in and of itself, it is also a good feeling to see documentation of the progress. For those of us who blog regularly, it may seem so routine at this point. I was thinking about how initially foreign the idea was to write posts about what I make. Familiarizing myself with Blogspot and blogging communities, in general, was sometimes intimidating. Please give yourself a pat on the back for me for coming this far in your own craft journeys and especially to those of you who journal about your crafts--I am so proud of us all! :)



A few months ago, I made this card for another crafty friend's wedding. We met in our teens during one of my first jobs at a tutoring center in Brooklyn. For a while, we lost contact due to our 2 year age difference and attending different schools and colleges altogether. Facebook. Ah, what my generation would do without...I can't even imagine. Anyway, we reconnected through there as many others did during our freshmen year in college when it was first introduced to the college world. Who would've thought that we would find this unlikely connection through crafting so many years later? You see, it is very uncommon for those growing up in a place like NYC to be taking on any hobbies. Unless you're born to a hippie or into a privileged family, it is more likely that we would have a part-time job in school than pursue our interests. It wasn't until college that I was able to pursue papercrafting.




I notice that I put in a bit more effort into designing things when I know I am gifting a handmade item to another artsy person. Why is this? Well, this person will be better able to appreciate and connect with what is presented to them, for one. Another thing that may or may not be true is my impression that I am suppose to WOW this person because they have been exposed to so many more amazing works by the array of talent out there. I cannot accurately make this comparison, but it is still an illogical reasoning I have. Do any of you ever find that you are in this situation as well?








Lastly, I should comment about the actual card. :D "Mr & Mrs" are paper pierced and then the paper I used to fill in the letters was taken from gift wrapping scraps. It actually shimmers through and does not take away from the overall look, in my opinion. Silhouette butterfly is embellished with tiny rhinestones. Flourishes are quilled.







Here is a shot of the interior. It's also lined with the same gift wrap as the lettering that peeks through the front of the card. I am still holding onto the cut-outs from "Mr & Mrs"...perhaps for another wedding project I will integrate them.

We are expecting a snowstorm in the Northeast today, so we'll be staying in. Hopefully everyone is doing the same to stay safe and warm.






All the best,


Entered in:
-DYSU 104 Turquoise
-Charisma Cardz #51 Anything Goes
-Delightful Challenges Anything Goes
-Make It Monday #120 Anything Goes 

16 comments:

  1. What a lovely different card. I, too, could not imagine life now without blogging. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This card turned out just beautiful - spotted it on MIM. Love the elegant look of the paper and the cut out sentiment is such a nice detail of this design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eileen - such a wonderful card and a fabulous post. Blogging is surely up there with "Crafting is cheaper than therapy". Its so nice to meet (virtually) such like minded people. Have a fabulous weekend and heres to 2013:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful card and I loved reading your post also..For me too initially blogging was intimidating its still now ,but much less and I have to say a special thanks for the snowflake tip !

    ReplyDelete
  5. like reading your post agree with you :) sooo beautiful card, remarkable color and details! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The card is lovely - it looks light as air and the bit of quilling sets off the butterfly perfectly! I loved reading your thoughts on blogging... brave are we who have jumped into the blogosphere, eh?! I have to say I feel like I get much more in return than I give - bloggers are so generous with all that they share.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you and the others, your card is beautiful !!!!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely adorable card my friend^_^ Love the papers used^_^
    Big hug,
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH MY what a stunning card. I had to take a closer look from MIM. I love the quilling and the colors. Stunning card. Someone is going to love it. My cards are 29,70,191,205,268,282 if you care to stop by. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, I've never seen a card like this before. Totally elegant and gorgeous.
    Wishing you and your family a safe, healthy, and prosperous New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely!
    Thank you so much for joining us at charisma!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eileen this is beautiful and elegant. Love the decorative edges.
    Saw this on MIM and had to come over for a closer look. Hugs Desíre {Doing Life - my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a beautiful card - fantastic design.
    Thank you for joining our last challenge at DYSU xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. A truly gorgeous card, very elegant and pretty! Thank you for joining us at Delightful Challenges for our Anything Goes Challenge, Happy New Year hugs Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, this card is gorgeous! A bit unusual for you isn't it? You are being adventurous :)) Well done on nearly reaching 100 posts :))
    Xx

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping in! :)